Goods arriving in Åland from abroad must be cleared through customs. Let Åland Post take care of your customs clearance – it’s simple and easy. Leave your customs documents with us and we will take care of clearing customs for you.
Steps to clearing import customs:
- Clearing customs is done electronically as soon as the shipment arrives.
- When customs clearance is completed, you will either receive a message that your delivery has arrived or the goods will be delivered to your address.
- Pay VAT or any other fees to Åland Post. Beginning on 1 January 2018, the following will instead apply: If you are a company that is registered for VAT, you will receive your customs clearance decision from Åland Post, and will be required to report your VAT to your tax account, at your own initiative. Other charges should be paid to Åland Post. If you are a company that is not registered for VAT, or an individual, you will receive an invoice from Åland Post for VAT and other charges that you are required to pay us.
- Attach a VAT invoice for deliveries to and from Åland.
- An invoice should always accompany your shipment to ensure quickest delivery, due to the special tax exemption that Åland has with the rest of the EU.
It is important to attach an invoice to your shipments
If the invoice is missing, the shipment is delayed on arrival in the receiving country because customs clearance will take longer without an invoice.
A commercial invoice must be attached when the shipment is sent for commercial purposes, meaning that is, when it concerns an item intended for sale.
Commercial invoices should include:
- Full name and address of both the sender and the recipient
- Detailed information on the shipment’s contents
- Name and quantity of the item
- Per unit price of the item
- Total price of the shipment
- Terms and Conditions
- Sender’s company registration number
A pro-forma invoice must be attached when the recipient does not have to pay for the item. Also include why the item is free-of-charge (i.e. gift, product sample, documents) and the item’s nominal value.
For goods to or from Åland intended for export, a Commercial Invoice or a Pro-forma Invoice must be attached as well as an Exporter’s Declaration/Invoice Declaration to indicate the item’s country of origin. The exporter certifies the declaration of origin by their signature.
Want to know more?
Contact us via telephone (+358 18 636 727) if you would like to know more about customs clearance.