Goods arriving in Åland from abroad must be cleared through customs. Let Åland Post take care of your customs clearance – it’s simple and easy. Leave your customs documents with us and we will take care of clearing customs for you.
Steps to clearing import customs when Åland Post is handling your customs clearance:
- Clearing customs is done electronically as soon as the shipment arrives.
- When customs clearance is completed, you will either receive a message that your delivery has arrived or the goods will be delivered to your address.
- If you are a company that is registered for VAT, you will receive your customs clearance decision from Åland Post, and will be required to report your VAT to your tax account, at your own initiative. Other charges should be paid to Åland Post. Åland Post offers a customs clearance service in our Customer Portal where you can view detailed information along with the Customs decisions for all clearances carried out by Åland Post on your behalf. You find more information about our Customs Clearance Service here.
- If you are a company that is not registered for VAT, or an individual, you will receive an invoice from Åland Post for VAT and other charges that you are required to pay us.
- Attach a VAT invoice for deliveries to and from Åland.
- An invoice should always accompany your shipment to ensure quickest delivery, due to the special tax exemption that Åland has with the rest of the EU.
- Commercial invoice or proforma invoice? Below you find instructions outlining which kind of invoice is needed for which purpose. You also find detailed descriptions of what the invoices should contain and at the bottom of this page you find templates to download.
It is important to attach an invoice to your shipments
If the invoice is missing, the shipment is delayed on arrival in the receiving country because customs clearance will take longer without an invoice.
A commercial invoice must be attached when the shipment is sent for commercial purposes, meaning that is, when it concerns an item intended for sale.
A proforma invoice must be attached when the recipient does not have to pay for the item. Also include why the item is free-of-charge (i.e. gift, product sample, documents) and the item’s nominal value.